Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sweat Pants and Dressing more like yourself. A (pseudo) manifesto.

Let’s talk about sweat pants shall we.  Lots of ink (cyber-ink at least) has been spilled about they’re ruining modern society and nobody cares about how they look anymore.  I agree with most of this, sort of.  Here’s the thing though, I don’t like sweatpants for a different reason.  Most of what I’ve read bemoans the fact that the art of getting dressed has been lost but I disagree, I think what’s been lost is any sense of personal expression.  I’m more offended by the content than the form (but I am offended by the form).  So now it’s time to say my piece I feel like my main thoughts about personal style have not really been articulated, and I endeavor to do that here.


Your style, above all else, should tell me who you are. 

Or hell, one look
your entire lifetime.
I care how I look.  I always have.  Even when I was in 11th grade and wore jeans with huge holes in the knees, a black zip-up hoodie and a brown leather bomber jacket every day, I cared.  Hell, if you commit to one outfit for 11 months you have to.  

But behind caring how I look was telling other people who I was back then.  
--I was a willful outsider. (way more carhartt jackets than leather bombers in southern VT)
--I was into classic "I don't give a fuck" style. (jeans, chucks and leather)
--I was over the top (HUGE knee holes, the same jacket/sweatshirt every single day)

some of these even hold true today.

If you know me you know that I have volume issues.  The reasons for that are many, but it’s become a defining characteristic of who I am, and I have embraced it.  When I dress in the morning I want to tell people the following,

a) I am loud.  (my predilection for bright colors and bold patterns)










b) I am an rugged, northeastern-y type. (my prediction for generally wearing hearty fabric like denim,corduroy, tweed, or boot leather instead of lightweight cotton, worsted wool, or polished calf shoes)












c)I love to converse… Forever...  Sometimes even when people don’t really want to converse with me.  (hence things that might start those conversations)






d)I would not mind being the center of attention. (understatement of the year?)







So I wear things that communicate that.  Often nice things, often nice things that fit correctly.  Do I go overboard sometimes?  Sure.  But that’s who I am.  And I make no bones about that every time I leave the house.  To dress like an esquire illustration from the 1940’s is fundamentally opposed to who I am and how I want to present myself to the world
This is nice, just not me.

All of which (in a long roundabout way) brings us to the problem with sweatpants.  When you wear them outside and say ‘who has time to look nice’ what you’re actually communicating to the rest of the world is this

“The primary things I want you to know about me are the following,
a) I wish I was still in bed
b) I carry myself in such low regard that I do not warrant 5 minutes to put on real clothes to do anything
c) I hold you in such low regard that you are not worth 5 minutes to put on real clothes.
d) [THIS IS THE IMPORTANT ONE] The words my clothes would use to describe me are dumpy, bed-ridden, slovenly and boring.

If you asked 10 people wearing sweatpants outside what words they would use to describe themselves, do you really think they’d use those words?  Would you want to know them if they did?

People could benefit from perspective.  For instance, many consider appropriately stylish dress to be sober, professional, and businesslike.  This is absolutely fine, if it is your desire to be perceived as sober, professional and businesslike.  That is not my desire, so if I dressed that way every day it wouldn't be true to myself.  I like to look good, but my standard of what looks good does not follow those guidelines.

That said there are some rules to dressing well, just not as ironclad as you might think.

A well fitting suit
is nice to have
--Your clothes should fit.  Generally this means paying attention to(and, more importantly, caring about) how long things are, how tight they are, how much cuff to show, etc... There are extremely good guidelines to give you a shorthand (I might even post one someday).  But  remember that what is an appropriate fit changes amongst different groups.  5 minutes in a music subculture, or reading about where your pants should break and this becomes abundantly clear.






--Your outfit should be visually interesting. (again different groups think of this in different ways.  You have color, texture, weight of fabric, fit, and many other elements to help these things.  But if you are looking to blow peoples minds with your forward thinking it will not work in a classic business environment, or vice versa.)







A pretty good representation
of me.
--You have to care about what you put on and want to express yourself in your dressing.












That's style to me.  As long as you've spent your time thinking about it, wear it.  As long as I get a sense of who you are, you're on the right track.  And once you've started getting comfortable with how you really want to express yourself, you'd be surprised what things (like not being afraid of slim fits, wearing ties, and updating your shoe collection) can add to your look.  The problem with most of what I see on the internet these days is that people have forgotten that getting dressed should be fun.  You should enjoy it because it helps you express yourself.  Not because it gives you a chance to feel superior to people who you don't think look as good as you.

So there’s the first (and possibly only depending on how this is received) brief essay of my actual thoughts on style, I hope it inspires you to dress more like yourself.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome post, sir!

    I've been enjoying your revamp of this blog, but this one takes the cake, I think. At least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post. I think, however, that you are missing a certain point. Clothes are sometimes worn despite of what people think. In other words...sometimes it simply doesn't matter what people think about you. More importantly...clothes such as sweatpants sometimes come down to sheer physical comfort over visuals. Its true that I don't wear sweatpants outside...but if I did it would because I find them far more physically comfortable than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanks Jesse. I've been enjoying the revamp too, and have had this in the pipeline for a while now.

    Anonymous. I hope it was clear I don't have a problem per se with sweatpants (I just got up, and I'm wearing my pajamas right now, but I'll change before I leave). But I acknowledge that if I go outside the face I'm presenting to the world is one of a person who wishes they were still in bed.

    You may not care what people think, but if you're wearing sweats outside know people (even nice people) won't be thinking, "there goes a comfortable looking fellow/lady" they're thinking "guess they didn't care enough to get dressed today."

    There are plenty of clothes that are comfortable and look nice. I just want you to find the ones that express you. If the only thing that fits the bill is sweat pants... I guess we have nothing to learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I love to converse… Forever... Sometimes even when people don’t really want to converse with me."


    I just spit water on my monitor -- thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post -- if you are dressing to out-do others, your either an egotistical jack-ass or a teenager, or both.

    -- re sweatpants

    "I guess they didn't care enough to get dressed today."

    I would qualify -- "I guess they didn't care enough about how other's perceived them to get dressed today."

    So, as you say about clothes making your statement -- if your statement wishes to be, "fuck-you world, I'm comfortable and I don't give a fuck what you think" -- perhaps sweatpants are for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone the other day told me the problem with sweatpants/PJs in public isn't so much just how it looks and what it communicates but that, odds are, it's gross.

    Essentially, no one wakes up and thinks "I have to go to the grocery store. Guess I'll put on sweatpants or pajamas." No one decides to put on these things when they are getting dressed for the day. They wear them when they don't want to get dressed. In other words, they slept in them.

    They rolled around in their beds, for something like eight hours, in their own sweat and funk. Then they left the house in the same clothes they slept in. That's just ... kinda gross.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're like a palm reader, but with clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe - Sorry, I call bullshit. Nobody puts on sweatpants and thinks "I care so little about what other people think that I am going to wear these so as to ABSOLUTELY MAXIMIZE the amount of comfort I have today. It's just "ugh... I can't even put on clothes... I'll just wear these."

    Seriously, jeans aren't comfortable? kakhi's? it's not giving a "fuck you" to the world, it's just being too lazy to even dress yourself.

    If you want your statement to be fuck-you world, I'm comfortable and I don't give a fuck what you think I think Mafia velvet tracksuits are a good starting point.

    Mario - that's a great point that I had not fully considered.

    OPT - I charge $50/hr but I will promise you a much more awesome future than anybody reading body parts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it seems that society is more apt to accept people stepping out of their homes in comfortable clothes including sweat shirts and pants. It does make it easier to get ready to go out on errands since maintenance is really low.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!