Monday, April 25, 2011

Thrift Shopping Vol. 2: De-constructing a major score

I have a horrible confession to make.  I posted that primer on thrift shopping in a slump.  I felt like (note to self: learn a sports players name) doing some thing involving sports (note to self: learn about a sports scandal), and then lying about it.

But then things changed.  We hit up goodwill and spent $70 on a pretty epic goodwill haul.  Check out what patience and that stupid advice I gave last week will get you after the jump...

To start I'm going to recap last weeks advice on thrifting.

1. Get acclimated.
2. Keep a list.
3. Embrace the chase.
4. Watch your wallet.
5. Learn when to take risks.

Here's the haul.


Now since I was with Ashley, some of it is hers.

Clockwise from top left.
LL Bean weird cute oxford flats (Ashley's) $3
Cowboy Boots (made in USA) (Ashley's) $10
LL Bean Ranger Mocs (basically boat chukkas) $8
LL Bean Blucher Moc (virtually brand new) $7
Sebago Docksiders (Virtually brand new, in a leather/nubuck they don't currently make) $7
70's woodgrain Ice Bucket (w/ golf themed tongs) $3
13 "Chaps" pocket squares (9 in white, 4 in french blue) $3
Relic Watch (on top of pocket square valet [their words, not mine] $1.50
Electric Blue houndstooth scarf (100% wool, made in British Hong Kong) $5
Beige Scarf (100% wool) $1
Khaki Levi's 505's (30x30, great fit) $2.50
Brown Banana Republic Slacks (30R, will need tailoring) $2.50
Chaps Navy Cotton Jacket (Ashley's) $8
Brown Corduroy Jacket (Ashley's) $2.50
J Crew Salmon Cords (Ashley's) $5

Now I have a goodwill card so this was all 10% off.  About $70 (w/tax and donation to goodwill as an offering to the thrifting gods)

But as to my previous advice.
1.  I'm already acclimated (just wait til you see what I got at the Warren Ave Salvo [that place makes sartorial jesus cry]
2. Things on my list?
--Moc toed shoes (which I've been hesitant towards for no particular reason)

--Boat Shoes


--Chukka Boots (preferably deserts)
--Scarves (always more scarves)

--Pocket Squares (always more pocket squares)
--Khaki/White Jeans
--Grey(stone?)/Brown Chinos
--Brown Leather appropriate watch with small face 
--Ice Bucket (not clothes)











If anyone wants, I can list everything on my list (but it's a loooooooooong list).

3.  Like I said, I've been in a slump. But with the onset of truly nice weather, it was time to get my game back.      The addendum to this post (from salvation army) will prove once and for all that the chase will reward you, but sometimes it will keep getting away for upwards of 4 months.

4/5. A couple of these things weren't things I was necessarily looking for (the boat chukkas, the brown BR slacks), but they were close and cheap.  And I've already worn the ranger mocs and 505's and loved them both.  

But the most important thing to take away from this is I'm awesome at thrift shopping that the advice works, sometimes spectacularly, but it requires patience and attentiveness.

Oh, and as to bonus tips, this is what I wore, (and constantly regretted due to the difficulty of unlacing wolverine boots)  So even I suffer when I don't listen to my advice.

7 comments:

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!