Monday, April 11, 2011

Crayons, Punk Rock and New England: Drawing inspiration

a big box of inspiration
I recently got asked on my other blog (of course I have another blog, how else would I promote this blog?  facebook? It's not like I have twitter!)

Anyway, the question was "what inspires your style?"  So of course I just sort of wrote down the first 5 things that popped into my head.  Here's what it was.

Crayola Crayons, Punk Rock, Geometric Forms, New England Weather and the people I surround myself with

So I thought... why those?  And how do they?  What stupid bullshit did I just ramble out now?  But then I thought about it some more and it's pretty much dead on.  Delving into your wardrobe and finding things to inspire you, after the jump...



Crayola Crayons - I fucking LOVE bright colors.  I don't know exactly why, but Ashley immediately identified my love of them when we met and referred to them as "Crayola colors."  I got love for muted, for pale, for desaturated, monochrome, not so much for pastels (but to each their own), but at the end of the day?

This is my jam


Punk Rock - I hated middle/high school.  And as such, I listened to punk rock (like all of my friends), and dressed like a punk rocker (very specifically like all of my friends).  While at the time it was just deformed conformity, I still identify with "counter-culture" (he said from his Public Policy grad program).  In terms of my style, I like things that are banged up, worn hard, that doesn't quite look like other stuff.  I dig leather, denim, boots, shit I even own some studded belts and my old punk rock patch pants (the clothes I still can't throw away).  But I guess punk rock mostly in the sense that I feel like it occupies the far end of a continuum with "preppy"... just like I did in high school... hmmm... would I wear these?




I would... Dammit... I thought I'd matured...

Geometric Forms - I like the way shapes and patterns look.  This is also how I understand the fit of clothes.  There's a lot of using fabric to emphasize certain aspects of the geometric forms of your body.  The "V" on a jacket, the line of pants, the framing effect of a collar or lapel, the lengthening effect of pinstripes, these are all based in understanding geometric forms.  But, on the other hand...

5 categories of tie, 

I also just like the way that shapes and patterns look


New England Weather - Have you read this blog?


The People I Surround Myself With - My friends are not afraid of dressing up, I mean come on...


How can these people not inspire you!?!  I practically live in a cartoon!




That's not it by far.  I draw inspiration from all over, as much as I can.  My point here is that inspiration can cross over.  When you're thinking about getting dressed, it pays to look at other things.  A color, or shape, or attitude can't tell you how to dress, but they can be jumping off points.  Take a look around, there's more to put on than you can ever, ever, ever use.

Oh, and by way of total coincidence, this is what I'm wearing today (before I had even conceptualized this post)

geometric forms
punk rock

crayola colors

By my count, that's 3 of the 5.  4 if you count that it was nice today so I wasn't freezing or overheating.

1 comment:

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!