Monday, December 13, 2010

What Alex Wears... when it's gross and rainy but he needs to get out of the house to keep from going nuts from econ finals.

ooooo... he's so brooding!  he must be deep.
So if you couldn't tell from the title, today sucked.  I was going a bit stir crazy so I decided to get dressed and run some errands with Ashley.  Now, while I don't support the widely held belief by many in the men's style blogosphere that the world is going to hell because people don't dress well enough, I do kind of hate it when people wear pajamas out of the house.  The world is not your bedroom people!  Ashley agrees with me on this.  Anyway, I intended this outfit to be something of a more sensible companion to the general over-the-topness of the holiday party outfit.  Breakdown after the jump.



This might be the most normal picture of
me in existence.
If you couldn't tell, I love colorful, loud clothes.  They are very much an extension of my personality.  In particular I like high contrast color/pattern combinations.  Blue and orange, gingham with stripes, argyle with everything, etc...  Red and green fall well within that category.  But, as people sometimes note, it's easy to look like a christmas tree.  As much as red and green compliment each other, and as much as I like bright red and bright green, it can be very difficult to nail down.  So here's a better picture of what I was wearing.

If I was wearing kelly green and fire-engine red I'd look like an escaped holiday elf.  But by keeping the colors a bit more muted, more of a rust/burgundy sweater and a sage (Ashley knows exactly how to describe colors) pair of pants I manage to be in much more tasteful territory.  Now, I'd be remiss if I didn't have some loud pattern mixing going on, but the argyle tie on gingham shirt takes a backseat to the rest of the more conservative (though, it's me so it's not too conservative) elements.

I also like the bright green shoes with the green pants.  It's actually not too bizarre to wear almost any monochromatic combo as long as it
a. compliments your coloring, and
b. is different enough in shade (i.e. one's very primary, one's very muted).

Then I topped everything off with a denim jacket and a scarf.  I'll be posting about jackets and scarves in the not too distant future (perhaps after the brutality of finals has passed).  In other news, this is a test of the slightly more serious tone I want to write in.  Too much? Not enough?  I feel like I should make some kind of tasteless comment... but I'll refrain.  I do have a little bit of class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!