Saturday, December 11, 2010

What Alex Wears... for the holidays

Just because I'm having fun doesn't mean
I should look like I'm having fun.
Oh man, it's getting late in the year.  And you know what that means? Finals!  Oh wait, not everyone is in grad school... what's that other thing that happens around this time of year?  Oh right, non-denominational winter present giving festivities!  And drinking various spiced wine drinks!  And of course that means that you get to wear ludicrous crap you wouldn't normally wear!  Like white shoes! (I seem to really like exclamation marks!)  And the rest after the jump...




I bought these white bucks in late October which was unfortunately a bit late for the season.  I'm not one to think that things necessarily need to be in or out of season.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna wear tweed in the middle of summer or shorts in the dead of winter (well... I guess I never really wear shorts in general), but cycling through seasonal wardrobes requires storage space and a respect for fashion rules.  I obviously have neither.


Me trying to tie the tie in a full windsor knot, I got to half
windsor before it was as big as my head.
In any event, there's nothing more seasonal than red green and white so I did my part and dressed up like a Christmas tree JUST FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT!  I'm wearing a green poplin shirt (that's why it's kind of shiny), my gray vest and red cords (you've all seen those before), the aforementioned white bucks and this ridiculous plaid tie.  It's about 4 inches wide and I got it basically only for holiday parties.


I think this holiday theme thing illustrates something that I've alluded to but not posted about.  An outfit pallet swap.  Anyone who's played video games should be familiar with the pallet swap, it's where an ostensibly "new" character is just an old character with a different color pallet.  I like to think of a large part of my wardrobe like that.  I have a lot of shirts in the same patterns or in solid colors, ties the same way, today when I went to picnic (which you should go to if you live in Portland) with Ashley I wore a navy poplin shirt with a blue/yellow plaid tie, blue jeans and brown bucks.  The same outfit in essence, but it looked totally different, if you take some care in constructing your wardrobe you can do the same thing, it makes a wardrobe of a hundred or so items (like I have) much easier to think about, you don't get paralyzed standing in front of the closet.  I'll write a full post on this later, but it's something to think about.


Anyway, the outfit was a total hit! (Ashley might have loved it a little too much.)  There was a yankee swap and lots of glogg.

There's more beer in here!
I can almost get to it!
I even tried to crawl into the fridge. Just to see if I could.


Burgundy blazers are also
awesome things to wear to
holiday parties.  As are
kick ass mustaches.
Oh! And John brought four loko to the yankee swap!  And Scott stole it!  What a crazy bunch of characters we are!










See?
It's like some sort of 80's cartoon.  I'm sure any second now
they'll transform.

2 comments:

  1. You had me laughing at the part where you tried tying a full Windsor knot. I think you got yours bigger than Jay-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this stands as the first time I've had any comparison to Jay-Z. I'm pretty sure I win the internet at this point. Man, I should tie comically huge tie knots more often!

    ReplyDelete

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!