Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick driving the awesome into some green ties.

Happy St. Patty's day!  Hope you're still sober enough to read my quick rundown of all green outfits after the jump...


So in honor of the 1/8 of me that's Irish I'm posting 5 outfits that are all green but don't make you look (too much) like a deranged leprechaun.

1. Green is a surprisingly neutral color if you keep it on the muted edge of the color wheel.  I usually wear these green cords in a situation where I would wear khaki's.  The olive drab plays unexpectedly nicely with the bright green kicks and the small gingham and big plaid works well too.

2.  You can brighten up the belt if you want (especially if you tone down the tie just a tad), and big stripes with small gingham is a great pattern combo too.

3.  I like these forest green pants (though I rarely wear them anymore ever since I tripped tearing a hole in the knee and launching my phone and keys onto a leaf covered sidewalk at 5am.  I'll tell that story another time).  Keep all the greens in different hues to keep it from looking like you walked under a waterfall (of green dyed beer).  The electric green of the tie and shoes ties together the more olive and forest tones of the shirt/pants.

4. Or play up the electric green.  Make the tie forest green and toss on an awesome green hoodie over top.  It's a day for green, if anybody judges you just tell them your parents died in the potato famine (odds are good you'll be talking to an American who has no idea when the famine was, but will feel terrible for besmirching your family honor).

5.  Or get rid of the bright green altogether.  Keep it really muted (you can't see the belt under the sweater, but it's nice to know it's there).  Except for the bright green chucks (if you don't have bright green chucks for St. Patty's day I don't know what you celebrate.)


6. In the end I split the difference.  It's like 50 degrees and suuuuuuuunnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyy!  So it's time to break out my suede blazer and dark jeans play very well with all the bright greens I did end up using.

SLAINTE!  Go forth and be lucky!  (don't drink any bushmills though.  that's protestant whiskey.)

3 comments:

  1. Protestant whiskey? What kind of nonsense is that.

    That would be like Halal Manischewitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bushmills_Distillery

    "The Old Bushmills Distillery is a distillery in Bushmills, County Antrim, Northern Ireland"

    Now, the primary difference between Northern Ireland and Ireland...

    Like I said, Protestant Whiskey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Irish Religion/Geography lesson --- I didn't know how much I could learn reading your blog daily -- and it's not just useful tips for helping me look my sharpest in my new yuppie neighborhood!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!