Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dr. Strangeglass or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Knockoffs

I fucking LOVE sunglasses.  Probably has something to do with the fact that my eyes are extremely sensitive to the light.  However, I also have a predilection for losing small items (I've lost about 30 hats/scarves/gloves/sunglasses over the last 5 or 6 years).  Additionally I'm kind of allergic to spending $100+  on... just about anything, much less something 6 inches across.  Fortunately I've found a solution, after the jump...


Ray-Ban Wayfarers - $145






Black and White Tortoise Shell Wayfarer Knockoffs - $8

Ray-Ban doesn't even make black and white tortoise shell, which is too cool for words



Ray-Ban Clubmasters - $145







Clubmaster Knockoffs - $2.98

plus they have a slightly more rounded eyebrow shape and the wayfarer style arms, both of which I prefer to the original.





Ray-Ban Aviator Large Metal - $139






Aviator Knockoffs - $2.98
Plus, the bridge is a bit lower, so they sit higher on your face which is a plus if you have high cheekbones (like me).






Total Ray-Ban: $429 (but in fairness, then you get "Ray-Ban" on the lenses and both arms of the wayfarer's.  That's 5 times they had to print their name on the damn things.)

Total Knock-Off - $13.96

So the math works out to you needing to keep your...
Wayfarers for 18 years...
Aviators for 46 years...
Clubmasters for 48 years...
before the price per year is the same as buying knockoffs

Of course this assumes you replace your knockoffs every year (I've had all mine for at least 8 months without having to replace anything).

So... there's your sunglasses economics lesson for the week.

5 comments:

  1. You almost incorporated some statistics in there. I'm with you on all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is of course unless you actually buy sunglasses to reduce the amount of UV striking your eyeballs... but c'mon who actually wears sunglasses for that reason!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OPT (yeah you know me) - We know the UV rating, but what about the Z-score?

    Well JoeD (if that is your real name, and I assume it is). These say they have 100% UV protection, and while I'm sure they don't have crazy polarization, lens technology etc..., I'm pretty sure they work as well as the overpriced new edition of ray-bans. If I was... I don't know... flying fighter jets I'd feel differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you mean -- you DON'T fly fighter jets? How disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!