Thursday, November 18, 2010

What Alex Wears... when he drops knowledge

If this was 1874 I'd be sipping tea and reading Adam Smith
About a month ago (I know, I know, I've been busy with various parties, projects and posts) we had a presentation in my public finance and budgeting class.  Well... technically it was a highlights presentation... for a presentation we hadn't made yet.  No, I'm not quite sure how that works either.  The point is, I won't just be sitting in class.  I'll be standing and talking.  Two of my favorite things!  Of course, we were presenting on tax revenue structure, how the state gets dolla dolla bills as it were, so I figured I'd better step up my game.  Full breakdown of my British businessman inspired look after the jump.

Unfortunately since I'm poor as shit, I couldn't sit in my study smoking a cigar and contemplating capitalism. I had to settle with sitting in my room (which doubles as my walk-in-closet and triples as my library) and contemplating grad school..  So here I am, pondering improvements to Vermont's tax revenue structure.  Of course, how can you ponder such things if you look like a slob?  To make sure my plans for VT to make C.R.E.A.M. I was wearing a very very British inspired look.  Orange stripe shirt (I think it's called bengal stripe), silver (with a purpleish hue) tie, navy pinstripe vest, blue sport coat (it returns!) with pocket square, with green cords and my black wholecuts.  Topped (bottomed?) off with argyle socks and I was ready to quietly contemplate the tax structure.


Hold on... I wasn't wearing this
a second ago...
Now, of course I wouldn't wear something too British, and to that end my jacket is ventless (I would be standing after all, plus I'm part Italian) and combining corduroy with navy and stripes is probably enough to make some really old school guys apoplectic.  But seriously, who dresses for the country and town anymore?  Can you even do that in Portland?  I think I'd need to change about half-way out Brighton Ave. and maybe part way up Munjoy hill.  Besides, I think mixing formal and casual elements is right on.  We're living in the 21st century, board rooms are filled with pleated kakhi's and polo shirts.  How can people get still angry about city/country suit dichotomies?  I just want people to care how they dress.  No matter how that manifests itself.  I wear ties with hoodies for god sake.  Jesus, I even used to wear a crown!


What's more formal than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!