Thursday, October 28, 2010

What Alex Wears... when he makes it rain at 555

In the interest of making myself look taller than Ashley showing off my shoes I'm standing in this ludicrous pose.  But there's an important reason.  It's fucking Restaurant Week bitches!!  That means we went with some friends to 555 to drop some serious dolla dolla bills, y'all.  And what do you wear to a swanky place to eat?  A suit goddammit!  But I didn't want to look like too big of a pretentious jag, so I dressed it down pretty significantly.  Plus it was raining, so I figured red chucks would hold up better than leather soled shoes.  I didn't want my feet soaking for the whole meal... that's just miserable.


The rest of the preparation after the jump.

 Wait? I thought I was on the other side.  But this gives a better view of the rest of the outfit.  (note: it doesn't).  This is my fanciest suit.  Actual worsted wool, gray on gray pinstripe and double vents.  Fits pretty damn well too.  Guess it's just my spectacularly girlish figure manly physique filling it out.  But like I said, I wanted to dress it down.  To that end I wore an orange V-neck sweater (it is close to halloween) an oxford-cloth button down (OCBD to the fashion-esque inter-webs crowd) with a strategically loosened tie underneath.  And capped off with the imminently stylish Chuck Taylors.


A word on those.  I've been wearing chucks since my freshman year of highschool.  Back in those days they were punk rock, now they're just classic.  I don't give a shit about if they're played out or foreign made or whatever.  They look good with everything and I think everyone should own a pair in a shitload of colors.  They work perfectly with my primary style mode, the palette swap (more on that in a later post).  So haters to some other place than here.


Anyway.  The spooooooky halloween twist is that all the stuff I'm wearing is ostensibly expensive, brooks brothers sweater, and a tie so fancy it's website doesn't have prices.  But it's all in how you wear it.  If you wear it to show off what a rich entitled douchebag you are you look like some sort of rich entitled douchebag.  I'm all for nice things, but I got these nice things in a closet and a goodwill respectively.  But sometimes you gots to bring out the big guns.


But... (soapbox time) unless you're closing a fancy business deal, wearing a suit makes you seem kind of pretentious most of the time.  I don't say that to be judgmental, but so many goddamn bloggers talk about fashion like the world is falling apart because people don't wear suits enough.  I think suits are a crutch in a lot of cases, especially super fancy bespoke suits.  If you can afford to have someone make EXACTLY what you want, where's the fun in that?  I love standing in front of my closet figuring out how to wear things in some new way (actually it's sort of to the right of my closet).  I have a lot of pieces to mix and match, (ties, formal and casual shirts, different cuts of light jackets, pants, jeans, sneakers, dress shoes, etc...) not just with my "mid gray super 120's chalk stripe" or some other thing and a bunch of dress shirts and ties.  Style is so much more interesting if you have to piece it together to make it your own.  Instead of getting it ready made.  I'll get off my soapbox now.


   Coincidently, everyone matched.



That was unintentional.

1 comment:

Comment your hearts out. But keep it fuckin' civil!